Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Herbal coffee: Chukku Kaapi (Dry ginger black coffee)

It is winter and everyone is falling ill: having on-off feverish feeling, cough, cold etc. I have been suffering a lot because of the cold weather. My mom gave me this herbal recipe which to a great extend helped me in beating the winter illness. So I thought of sharing it with everyone. It is home made and hence it is safe and also very easy to prepare.



Ingredients:

  • Betel leaf/ Pan leaf/ Vettila - 1
  • Cumin seeds/ Jeera seeds - 1 spoon
  • Pepper seeds - 1 spoon
  • Dry ginger/ Chai wali adrak/ Chukku - 1 piece
  • Organic jaggery/ Palm sugar/ Karupatti - 1 small lump chopped
  • Coffee powder - a pinch


Preparation:

  • Grind all the spices - dry ginger(chukku), pepper seeds, cumin seeds and keep aside.

  • Take a pan and boil 2 glasses of water. Once water starts to boil, tear the betel leaf randomly and add it. Let it boil for 1 min.

  • Add the ground spices and palm sugar (karupatti) and stir well. Let it boil for 1 min.


  • Add a small spoon full of coffee powder. Switch off the flame and close it with a lid.

  • Let it remain closed for 5mins. After that, drain the coffee using a filter into a cup.
  • Drink hot!
Since dry ginger is good for digestion the one side effect I found was that it increased my appetite. I started to feel hungry very soon. So be prepared to munch something good :)

Please let me know if you felt this was helpful.


No comments:

Post a Comment